Re: [LUG] OT: Mac verses PC

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 17:51 +0000, Robin Menneer wrote:
> This is all very well but I don't know why I should use Ubuntu or use
> Kubuntu, Mandrice &c.
For me it boiled down to Suse, Mandriva or Ubuntu. When I finally
decided to do what I had hoped to do for years, a little over a year
ago, Suse 10.0 had came along and was easy to work, except I had to read
the instructions carefully to get a method of partitioning the disc (a
utility I downloaded as a rescue disc, almost opaque to a first timer).
I have had some difficulties, especially with losing my printer and
having to reinstall it by hook or by crook on a regular basis.

The next new version distro, Ubuntu 6.06 came along at the right time
for my laptop and it worked second time (install menu item no.2) and has
worked perfectly. It is incredibly easy to set up, partitioning was in
the install procedure and all hardware set up automatically. Once I felt
confident I moved off the default Gnome desktop to Kubuntu and like this
KDE version. Mandriva 2007, assuming it has improved on its
predecessors, which were getting easier to install, is for a beginner,
the next option IMHO.

Ease of access to the repositories of programmes and installation seems
particularly excellent with Ubuntu (though as yet I have not been
successful with Gnucash).

There are plenty of others, some simpler and suitable for very old
machines, like Damn Small Linux, but these 3 seem good options for
someone used to Windows and using MS Office and such like. OpenSuse 10.2
looks good as the latest version. I got all my CD's (now dvd's) off
Linux Format, but there are other magazines.

Some List members seem to change their distros regularly as new ones
come out and some stick with one preferred or more than one in more
complex setups. Perhaps it would be good to have a meeting showing
several distros off? Or perhaps members could be open to visitors. You
are welcome to drop in here, so long as you don't expect an expert!
(Near Helston).

I do need a course!

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk