Re: [LUG] What is the purpose of free software ?

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:08:09 +0000
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 09:27 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Such people view the GPL as
> > *very* constrictive because they want to make free software
> > proprietary
> > - not caring that this makes it even more constricted.

> You mean they want to take something which is a free gift, repackage
> it and sell it with very little work on their part - parasitical.

Exactly - this, IMHO, is the problem with code licenced under the BSD
licence - it encourages the parasitic whilst impairing
interoperability. Proprietary developers can simply tweak a few
critical lines to change it to their interpretations and assumptions
and release it under a EULA or even non-disclosure agreement. The
changes are not published so those who use the original BSD code do not
get the same results from the proprietary version of the same original
code!

Rather than helping interoperability by requiring modifications to be
released under the same licence as the original (thereby allowing the
one codebase to operate with both proprietary and free
implementations), the BSD licence actively works against
interoperability by failing to take account of what is "normal"
practice for proprietary development - "sod the standard, we do it our
way".

--

Neil Williams