Re: [LUG] The only Linux User In The Village - not any more !

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

>Brillaint!!
>
>On 27/01/07, viv <viv.griffin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>To my knowledge, we are the only Linux users in our village
>>(Sticklepath, West Devon). However, a friend of ours who runs the
>>village shop has asked us to re-install his laptop. He bought it
>>installed with Windows XP which is now claiming itself to be an illegal
>>copy and he can no longer use his laptop. I am not sure what the problem
>>is exactly but,
>>

>Sounds like Windows Genuine Advantage has taken another victim. I've
>seen articles lately saying that 1 in 4 windows users have been
>accused of using a non-genuine copy!! With Vista coming out on Tuesday
>I'm sure we'll see even more people switching with all the DRM locking
>people down from enjoying the media they've purhcased.
>
> Jon

Much that I would like to see the demise of Microsoft, Im not sure it
would be a good thing for the computer industry if they disappeared over
night. Im not sure if Vista is any More / Less buggy than XP at its
launch. What has changed is user perception and education, probably
because we all have the internet now. Its a lot harder for Microsoft to
use the "there is no alternative" argument any more. Microsoft have had
a long time to get vista right (remember longhorn), they have no excuses
left.

But if Microsoft where to go bust tommorrow, would the free software
market be able to pick up the slack ? There are a lot of Microsoft users
out there, would we (the GNU/Linux community) be able to satisfy them
all if push came to shove ?

One thing is for sure, Vista is Microsofts make or break moment. Like
the Trueman show, if the Microsoft bubble bursts we will hear about it
all over the world and then we will start tuning into something else
(lets hope GNU/Linux).

Do you think I might be able to pick up some really cheap real estate in
Redmond soon ?

Tom.