[LUG] What is the purpose of free software ?

I would just like to get a cross section of views as to what we all
think the purpose of free software is.

My personal take is that it is software that sets us and itself free via
the GPL (and others), and should be distributed as freely and as
frequently as possible to anyone who is interested. I believe that free
software takes on this purpose through distribution. Its power comes
through distribution, the more distributed it becomes the more powerful
it becomes.

Some comments I have seen recently seem to run counter to this view,
which I thought (my interpretation) was the essence of the GPL.

I would be interested in all views and angles.

Tom.