Re: [LUG] cups wrapper error

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Last week  I did an apt-get upgrade ; apt-get update ; apt-get
> dist-upgrade from kanotix (sid)
>
> after which I could not
>
> print or log in as admin

Not being able to log in as admin is not confidence inspiring.

> Neil Stone has been trying to help me with this,  but despite trying
> alternative cups config files,  I still can't print so i decided to
> start over and uninstall the cupswrapper driver,  cupsys and the
> dcp310cn driver and start over

> I am unsure if the lpadmin error is caused by cups
> not starting or something else.

lpadmin is probably caused by removing the original package and it
complaining that it can't remove the old printer because you've already
deleted it or something.

> I am also unsure as to where the PPD
> would be.

lpd wrapper is in /usr/lib/cups/filter
ppd file is in /usr/share/cups/model
(but is also copied to something under /etc/cups/ when you add the printer)

> Any help would be great,  thanks,  I don't have a problem purging the
> dcp310cn driver,  etc, and starting over, if I need to.  I think i am
> just missing something  very simple here.
>
> Preparing to replace cupswrapperdcp310cn 1.0.0-1 (using
> cupswrapperdcp310cn_1.0.0-1_i386.deb) ...
> lpadmin: The printer or class was not found.

It's trying to remove it and it doesn't exist (probably).

> /etc/init.d/cups: Command not found.
> Unpacking replacement cupswrapperdcp310cn ...
> Setting up cupswrapperdcp310cn (1.0.0-1) ...
> rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperDCP310CN
> /etc/init.d/cups: Command not found.

> lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file!
Not sure about that one. Read the scripts.

Brother made such a mess of those drivers. All it needs is 3 files- but
they decided to write scripts to generate them for no reason at all (and
they use CSH of all things- it took me several weeks to work out why I
couldn't print with my DCP-340CW- I had no /bin/csh link.)

Unpack manually- read scripts- generate files- copy them to the right
places. Forget packages.

Hope this helps
Simon