Re: [LUG] Volunteers ? was Re: [Fwd: Open source gets European boost]

Tom Brough wrote:

> Voluntary contributions to the free software community come in many
> shapes and forms. What distinguises the free software community from
> others is that we accept and encourage contributions not matter what
> size they are. Whether programmers are paid or voluntary is not so
> important as long as everybody is aware of the ethos of the free
> software community and continues to uphold and strengthen it.

I'm just concerned that things were described as volunteer efforts, when
in substantial part they aren't, or weren't, and that misrepresents the
business aspects of free software.

I agree the volunteer contribution is huge, and in many project far
larger than the commercial contribution. However if a project comes from
a commercial background, or attains significant market share in a
commercial area, it can rapidly end up with a lot of commercial, and/or
professional effort behind it.

These project are often informal cross company collaborations. Which is
a model businesses are use to.