Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux

On Jan 06, 2007, Neil Winchurst was like:

> Yes, this [fd problem] was surprising. It turned out to be a known
> fault with Kubuntu.

Which Kubuntu was that? The only one I've installed was Breezy and
(not having needed the fd) I hadn't noticed anything amiss so I just
now looked at /etc/fstab and /dev/fd0 is there.

> I found that everything in Kmix was turned off.

Yes, lots of people reported that. In Debian etch, though, the mixer
was fine (and I had sound except via KsCD); the solution was to
configure KsCD, viz select 'direct digital playback' and then
'alsa'. This was the first time I had had to do this. Usually it just
works. I'm not sure what is down to Debian and what to KDE.

Tony Sumner