Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux

On Jan 05, 2007, Mark Jose was like:

> > I had a floppy drive in my new computer (I know, but it was there) and
> > it took a while and quite a lot of help from the group to get it
> > working.

> I have a floppy drive, but never used it

It is surely surprising that Neil should have had trouble with a
FD. I've installed lots of distros and there had never been any
problem with the floppy drive and I can't see why there should be. It
is handy to ba able to boot up from a floppy disc now and then.

> I would class that [sound] as a generic Linux issue. Happens in all
> distros at times, depending on soundcard, distro, drivers, time of
> day....

I would agree with that in spades. I have Debian testing on a new
system and to begin with I could play a CD in Kaboodle but not in
KsCD. After trawling the Linux Forums I found a write-around and KsCD
now plays but the volume slider won't move. Noone else has this
problem. Odd. I also have Kubuntu on a tired Pentium III and KsCD
works but sound comes out of only one speaker (they both work in
Windows). I had RealPlayer running to get Listen Again from the BBC
then one day it stopped working ("realplay not in path"). I was trying
to learn how to use RealPlayer in standalone mode and realplay suddenly
started working normally again. But for how long ha ha.

Tony Sumner