[LUG] Newcomers to Linux

Recently there have been comments about getting more people across to
Linux. I think that is a great idea. However some help and hand-holding
will be needed I suggest.

Late October I installed kubuntu Edgy. I am not new to Linux at all,
but I needed to make quite a few changes to get it to work for me.
Here are some first thoughts about it.

Setting up Kubuntu Edgy.

There has been some chat recently about getting Windows users to
migrate to Linux with particular reference to Kubuntu. I have used
Linux for years  I installed Edgy the day that it came out and I have
been pleased so far. It might be interesting to look at the changes and
tweaks that I have made so far. My point is that as it installed, out of
the box so to speak, it was not yet ready for me. It worked, of course,
but I had to do quite a bit of customisation before I was happy with
it. What will people new to Linux think I wonder.

*** Please note that these are not criticisms, merely some thoughts and
comments re possible problems for people new to Linux  ***

First of all I made the Num Lock turn on at log on. The default to have
it off seems odd to me.

I could not see any files in the root folder so, with help from the
group, I sorted that out.

I had some problems with my browsers (Firefox and Galeon)  Again with
help I traced this to having IPv6  enabled. With help from the group I
disabled it and all is now well. New users could find this rather
obscure and difficult to sort out.

I had to add extra repositories before I could see a complete list of
available files.

I had a floppy drive in my new computer (I know, but it was there) and
it took a while and quite a lot of help from the group to get it
working.

Adding new files using Adept seemed fine, but I had to learn to deal
with packages that needed me to answer some questions along the way. At
first I thought it had died on me.

My printer was found OK, but I couldn't get any utilities to work with
it (eg checking ink quantity) at first. Eventually I installed escputil
and all is now well.

There were no icons on the desktop at all. OK, some people like to work
that way. I suggest that those new to Linux will want and expect  to
find some icons already there. I have added a few for myself (26 in
fact). They were fairly easy to set up except for Home. I had to be
pointed in the right place for that one.

I like using a terminal screen. I had to add the necessary icon in
Konqueror so that I can call it up from any folder. And yes, I do often
use alt-F2.

I couldn't get any sounds at first. Luckily I knew about Kmix. I found
that everything was switched off. Seems strange. Anyway, I got it
sorted out but a newcomer to Linux is going to be baffled I suggest.

As I said just some first thoughts. I have a friend who is showing some
interest. He will need quite a lot of help and hand-holding I think.

Any comments anyone?

Neil Winchurst