Re: [LUG] XP Disk Needed

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Unless its a copy of XP bought from the shop (ie a retail not OEM
> version) then you can't transfer the licence to another PC so you can't
> legaly have an old XP disk.

Even if it's an OEM copy, if it has already been 'activated' you will
probably face issues with activating it on a different computer.
> Even with a retail version you are expected to stick the sticker to the
> PC and then that is probably non transferable afterwards as well. If you
> can get the sticker with the disks you will *probably* be licensed.

Again that depends on activation issues.
> *So much for rights*

We are talking about Microsoft here ;)
> Which is exactly where you will be unless you buy a copy.

'Fraid he's right.
> Can't you use the backup disks supplied with the laptop? :-) (sorry for
> that one!)

I'd suggest Ghosting it and then using the backups from the laptop.
That's what I did prior to sending mine in for repair.
> Of cause *if* you were changing a critical hardware component in the
> computer (eg the fan *has* stopped working). Then you are building a PC
> and can buy a OEM copy which saves a lot.
I got an OEM XP Pro supplied with an IDE cable.  Cost about £100.  The
licensing *AFAIK* states an OEM copy must be sold 'with a PC
component'.  Obviously the lawyers meant that to be a whole computer,
but obeying the letter of the license means suppliers and consumers get
a better deal albeit OEMs still need activation whereas retail XP Pro
does not.

I think ghosting it, or buying an OEM copy is the best *legal* option to
be honest.  Maybe get whoever didn't tell you it was on loan to pay is
an option, or is that the aforementioned public sector body?

Kind regards,

Julian