Re: [LUG] XP Disk Needed

Simon Robert wrote:
> Sorry about this one. I have a laptop which was on loan (though I didn't
> fully realise this). It is very happy running PCLinuxOS, but the public
> sector body who own it want XP re-installed. Is there anyone out there
> with an XP disk, Pro or Home, that they can either spare or lend me?

Unless its a copy of XP bought from the shop (ie a retail not OEM
version) then you can't transfer the licence to another PC so you can't
legaly have an old XP disk.

Even with a retail version you are expected to stick the sticker to the
PC and then that is probably non transferable afterwards as well. If you
can get the sticker with the disks you will *probably* be licensed.

*So much for rights*

> I know I can easily aquire a copy via bittorrent, but I can foresee an
> illegal copy causing problems in the future.

Which is exactly where you will be unless you buy a copy.

Can't you use the backup disks supplied with the laptop? :-) (sorry for
that one!)

Of cause *if* you were changing a critical hardware component in the
computer (eg the fan *has* stopped working). Then you are building a PC
and can buy a OEM copy which saves a lot.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk