Re: [LUG] fsck

On 2006-12-23T10:54+0000 Simon Waters wrote:
> Come on Kai... more detail.
> You don't mention the filesystem type, or drive type.
> You don't say why you couldn't run fsck from the Ubuntu LiveCD.

I didn't have the liveCD, only the alternate. Since downloaded the
"desktop" CD and now I can do stuff. I hate the "desktop" CD for
installs. :)

> Is this ext3, with the journal inode being toast? Since ext3 is the
> default filesystem under Ubuntu.

Yes, ext3.

> What caused the problem in the first place?

According to my sister she just booted the machine one morning to see it
bomb out with fsck error.

> fsck has a "-y" option, which generally is a good idea unless you think
> you are going to have to sort stuff manually, which answers your "yes"
> to everything issue.

Ah, that seems to cleared up problems, though /dev/hda1 boot files seem
damaged.

> If it is just a root/system disk with no user data of consequence, I'd
> probably just install over. Once "badblocks" or similar was run to check
> it wasn't a physical disk issue, life is too short to try and recover
> iffy filesystems if they don't have crucial data on, especially if it
> was the ext3 journal that went.

I've run badblocks -s now. Didn't know about it!

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the physical drive, so the cause of
the initial problem is a bit of a mystery. I will try install 6.10 root
over /dev/hda1 with hopefully /dev/hda6 remaining intact as /home.

Thanks for your help!