Re: [LUG] fsck

Kai Hendry wrote:
> http://natalian.org/archives/2006/12/22/fsck/
>
> I have a problem with fsck. Anyone has had similar experience? Not sure
> what to do now.

Come on Kai... more detail.

You don't mention the filesystem type, or drive type.
You don't say why you couldn't run fsck from the Ubuntu LiveCD.

Is this ext3, with the journal inode being toast? Since ext3 is the
default filesystem under Ubuntu.

What caused the problem in the first place?

fsck has a "-y" option, which generally is a good idea unless you think
you are going to have to sort stuff manually, which answers your "yes"
to everything issue.

If it is just a root/system disk with no user data of consequence, I'd
probably just install over. Once "badblocks" or similar was run to check
it wasn't a physical disk issue, life is too short to try and recover
iffy filesystems if they don't have crucial data on, especially if it
was the ext3 journal that went.