Re: [LUG] Children in Need event - update

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I thought I'd give you all an update on the Children In Need event and
> how it went.
>
> We started at 10am Saturday morning, our first visitors arrived between
> about 10am and 11am and things were a bit untidy (unpacking cables,
> setting the machines up etc).  For a while we didn't have working
> internet access.  It seems that the wireless connection didn't work too
> well.  Eventually we resolved this by running a cable to the office
> next door through the ceiling with a shorter than I wanted network
> cable (next time I'll remember to take more RJ45 plugs!).

Good thing to keep in mind for any future events!

> In total we had about 4 visitors come along with their PCs.  At least
> one visitor had heard about the event on South Hams Radio although
> didn't understand exactly what it was about.  I explained a bit about
> Linux to him and he agreed to have Linux installed (Ubuntu Linux 6.10
> dual booting with Windows XP Home).  Another visitor came along with
> her dad and her laptop and again had Ubuntu installed.

It's good to hear that some people came along and had it installed!The
more the better...and the fact that you got to explain to some people
who didn't know really much about it before means they can now talk to
other people about it, I think you said that later in the mail actually!?

> Other than these two unexpected visitors, we had Jacki the receptionist
> at Gemini FM bring her Pentium 4 PC along which I replaced Windows ME
> with Ubuntu 6.06 and I also still have two more PCs to transfer over to
> Linux.
>
> Now before anyone starts flaming me saying that I was plugging Ubuntu
> over everything else, we did have a pretty good selection of computers
> running a couple of different distros to demonstrate the choice.  We
> had Tom's collection of LTSP machines (3 clients and a P4 server)
> running Debian, Viv and Philip's laptop running Ubuntu, my other half's
> PC running Mandriva 2007 and then SUSE 10.1 (now running Kubutu 6.10),
> my PC running Ubuntu 6.10 AMD64, Tom's laptop running Fedora and two
> Windows boxes - one being my work laptop running XP Pro and another one
> being a Compaq Terminal Server client box running Windows NT 4 Embedded
> which we looked into hacking to run as an LTSP client.
>
> Hopefully the visitors to the event will join the LUG mailing list and
> tell everyone they know about Linux and pass along the CDs.
>
> So far with the sale of raffle tickets and donations for help on the
> visitors PCs we have raised £54.  I'll hang on another day or two
> before drawing the raffle in case anyone else wants any raffle tickets.
>   The prizes are a 512MB MP3 player donated by SVP and a Tux cuddly toy
> which was compiled by my other half.

Congratulations on the money raised too!! It sounds like you held a
really good event!

> On another note, I think we now have a regular meeting place.  I have
> discussed with Rick who owns The Music Mill about installing a network
> point in the meeting room.  He seems interested in letting a couple of
> us do this (I have offered to pay towards the installation cost) as
> then we'll have a meeting place   near Torbay/Exeter/South Hams with an
> 8Mbit internet connection.

Even better!!!

Jon