[LUG] Children in Need event - update

Hi folks,

I thought I'd give you all an update on the Children In Need event and
how it went.

We started at 10am Saturday morning, our first visitors arrived between
about 10am and 11am and things were a bit untidy (unpacking cables,
setting the machines up etc).  For a while we didn't have working
internet access.  It seems that the wireless connection didn't work too
well.  Eventually we resolved this by running a cable to the office
next door through the ceiling with a shorter than I wanted network
cable (next time I'll remember to take more RJ45 plugs!).

In total we had about 4 visitors come along with their PCs.  At least
one visitor had heard about the event on South Hams Radio although
didn't understand exactly what it was about.  I explained a bit about
Linux to him and he agreed to have Linux installed (Ubuntu Linux 6.10
dual booting with Windows XP Home).  Another visitor came along with
her dad and her laptop and again had Ubuntu installed.

Other than these two unexpected visitors, we had Jacki the receptionist
at Gemini FM bring her Pentium 4 PC along which I replaced Windows ME
with Ubuntu 6.06 and I also still have two more PCs to transfer over to
Linux.

Now before anyone starts flaming me saying that I was plugging Ubuntu
over everything else, we did have a pretty good selection of computers
running a couple of different distros to demonstrate the choice.  We
had Tom's collection of LTSP machines (3 clients and a P4 server)
running Debian, Viv and Philip's laptop running Ubuntu, my other half's
PC running Mandriva 2007 and then SUSE 10.1 (now running Kubutu 6.10),
my PC running Ubuntu 6.10 AMD64, Tom's laptop running Fedora and two
Windows boxes - one being my work laptop running XP Pro and another one
being a Compaq Terminal Server client box running Windows NT 4 Embedded
which we looked into hacking to run as an LTSP client.

Hopefully the visitors to the event will join the LUG mailing list and
tell everyone they know about Linux and pass along the CDs.

So far with the sale of raffle tickets and donations for help on the
visitors PCs we have raised £54.  I'll hang on another day or two
before drawing the raffle in case anyone else wants any raffle tickets.
  The prizes are a 512MB MP3 player donated by SVP and a Tux cuddly toy
which was compiled by my other half.

On another note, I think we now have a regular meeting place.  I have
discussed with Rick who owns The Music Mill about installing a network
point in the meeting room.  He seems interested in letting a couple of
us do this (I have offered to pay towards the installation cost) as
then we'll have a meeting place   near Torbay/Exeter/South Hams with an
8Mbit internet connection.

Rob