Re: [LUG] Flash Player 9 for PPC

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:42:12 +0000
"Michael Mortimore" <nospamformike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > If one doesn't care about whether it is proprietary or not, then why not
> > use MacOSX?
>
> personal preference? can you use kde with osx?

Umm, yes but you'd better have a powerful machine and be prepared for
quite an old KDE. Check the fink page for details of the current KDE
version. BTW, don't look at the CVS / unstable version - that requires
building *all* of KDE *from source* which is too Gentoo for most
OSX-types.

> cost? proprietory doesn't mean you have to pay for it and apples are overpriced

Yes, proprietary [sic] can be available without monetary cost but the
cost comparison of Macs is subjective. You cannot compare the original
Mac with a PC directly. The new intel platform ones - I don't know -
but the original Mac machines are better than the "PC equivalent" and
IMHO it was worth the money to get a reliable set of hardware. Laptops
that come with Windows pre-installed tend to include rubbish hardware.
Mac laptops are generally quieter, have longer battery life and -
thanks to a more standard hardware configuration - run GNU/Linux much
more easily than their PC rivals.

--

Neil Williams