Re: [LUG] Flash Player 9 for PPC

Ben Goodger wrote:

> It certainly is, as not everything is about whether the software is free -
> if I'm using Microsoft Office on Linux it's still a superior experience to
> Windows, and would be if Linux was EULA-licensed.

No idea what you mean by "EULA-licensed", care to explain?

>> not everyone cares about whether it's open source or not.  surely any
>> support for linux is better than none?
>
> It is indeed. Besides, it's not like (at least my) system is flooded with
> proprietary software - a flash plugin and a few codecs hardly counts as a
> flood, in opposition to the entire system...

If one doesn't care about whether it is proprietary or not, then why not
use MacOSX?

Much as I think Debian has many advantages over MacOSX, easy access to
formats mired in various patent or copyright claims will probably never
be one of them.

There are plenty of GNU/Linux distros around that do bundle such codecs,
and proprietary flash players etc. People are welcome to go and promote
those, but do appreciate that the GLUG can't distribute them (you have
to buy them) as they aren't free software, and that a lot of people here
just aren't interested in proprietary software.

Of course in many cases it is precisely the lack of such components that
adds to the ease of use, security, and other benefits of free software.