Re: [LUG] Children In Need event

james kilty wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 23:26 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>> put it up on notice board at your
>> workplaces/schools/colleges/universities etc.
>>
> Nice one - will try. Hope it goes well. A bit nearer and I'd be there.
> Good luck.
>
> I have taken the plunge and asked the Head at Helston School if he
> would host a similar event. I have reassured him dclug would "man" the
> event. I would advertise in local schools etc, seek sponsorship from
> local computer firms who would provide extra desktops (in case school
> computers were not made available to put new OS's on) and we would
> bring laptops as well as discs. I hope this is OK with you all and I
> will post my email to him if you like (I spoke to him at a show
> yesterday and gave him the poster). I hope the IT department will jump
> at the chance to consult local experts.
> --
> james kilty http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk/

I think it's a great idea.  I e-mailed my school about it although they
didn't read the e-mail until today by the looks of things.  I put in the
e-mail to them the benefits of an LTSP server where they could save
money on new PCs (explaining that two decent servers for a computer
suite, one running Debian or Edubuntu/K12LTSP and another running Win2k3
Server and reusing the old PCs would be cheaper than buying a suite of
new PCs).

I'm sure the local media would mention such an event if it was not
related to a competing media company (as is the case with Gemini not
mentioning the event as it is related to the BBC).  I would like to
thank Pat 'Auntie Pat' Holness on South Hams Radio for mentioning the
event on air.

I suggest that if anyone does an event, try and get some of the local
computer companies on board if they offer Linux related services and
then give them a free plug.

Rob