Re: [LUG] Flash Player 9 for PPC

Ben Goodger wrote:
> I would guess at Ubuntu. Referring to what the common man refers to as
> Linux as GNU/Linux creates unnecessary complications, especially as
> the target has zero idea of what an OS is, let alone the difference
> between its kernel and the rest.
Have you been talking to some of my old customers? ;)

'What OS are you running?'
'What's an OS?'
*sigh*

I quickly learned to ask 'What version of Windows or MacOS do you have?'
and even then some of the responses were..... uhhmm... questionable in
their accuracy.
> We need to talk about the here and now. Here and now, NVidia and ATi
> have both not yet released GPL or similar drivers. Here and now, the
> free alternatives, while excellent in that they actually provide any
> functionality at all, are entirely inferior and not suitable for
> serious use with the graphics card, such as doing usery things like
> games or some of the lovely screensavers that come with GNOME nowadays.
Um.  I installed the nVidia Linux package on my old Sony Vaio in
Mandrake 10.1 and played a very decent game of Quake 3.  I didn't see
any sign of inferiority - in fact it played better (predictably) in
Linux than Windows.

Kind regards,

Julian