Re: [LUG] googleearth and kubuntu

Mark Jose wrote:
> A quick - and very useful runlevel guide to Ubuntu and Debian systems -
>
> http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-and-ubuntu-linux-run-levels.html
>
> May be worth a look - I found it quite interesting,
>
> Mark

It worked! So the nvidia people have done as they said they'd do. I
think the release of the latest driver upgrade can only be a few weeks
old, maybe less even as the cycle is six monthly and the stuff on the
nvidia forum was July.

Just mention in passing, there is no inittab file in kubuntu.

Whoops, since the above, which I got by installing the driver after a
console login and then doing a startx command I've rebooted. This
resulted in another console login, but no success with startx. Instead a
message about mismatched modules in the kernel and driver - 7684 versus
9129.

I copied back the various backed up xorg.conf files in turn, but the
only one that worked is the one previous to the automatix install of
nvidia drivers. So googleearth in glx, which means it starts OK but
shows no image at all.

As the nvidia install threw up a message about the xorg sdk missing I am
currently installing the xorg dev files. The one adept entry actually
produces a download of 74 files.

Well try again.........

No difference. No message about missing SDK, all went smoothly. Startx
several times and look at googleearth. An exit takes me back to a
graphical logon and logging in is fine, startx etc etc. Then shutdown
and reboot and it's all the same. startx does nothing and I'm back where
I started.

Anyone... anything...

Simon

--