Re: [LUG] googleearth and kubuntu

Mark Jose wrote:
> On Friday 10 November 2006 21:57, Simon Robert wrote:
>
>> My current big problem with kubuntu is googleearth. My graphic card is
>> nvidia gforce. I've installed all the nvidia stuff from repositories and it
>> does solve the running very slow or not at all in gtk, but I get a high
>> definition fractured picture, ie zoom in and get bits of loads of countries
>> at random.
>>
>> With mandriva I had to use a nvidia driver about a year old, but I tried
>> this and it tottalled kubuntu.
>>
>> Any ideas
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> --
>> simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk
>>

> Totalled in what way?  I have run both the nVidia driver from the Ubuntu
> repositories and the one from nVidia without problems, so it is possible to
> use either. Did you have problems with building the driver for instance or
> forgot to edit xorg.conf after installing it?  The (K)ubuntu driver does need
> some specific packages installing to work, the nvidia website version needs
> the various packages to enable you to build it and the kernel sources.
> If you can expand on the problems you had, it should be possible to sort it
> out fairly quickly.
>
> Mark

totalled in that the x server would no longer run and I could only have
a command line login. Are you actually running googleearth? As I have
successfully installed the nvidia drivers, via adept, but they don't
solve the googleearth problems.

I found with mandriva that the latest nvidia driver did the same thing,
a kind of fractalised planet, but a slightly older version, found via
the googleearth forum, ran it correctly. It was building this one that
trashed the x server.

I thought I had installed the needed bits of kernel source, but maybe not.

What do I need in order to compile a driver downloaded from nvidia? Come
to that how do I turn off the xserver in kubuntu? It don't take the init
command and I can't even find the file (name presently escapes me, but I
do know), which I can edit to change the run level from 5 to 3. I did
the single user logon which seems to be without x, but that's when the
xserver stopped working. Not being root don't help as sudo isn't the same.

Any advice welcome.

Simon