Re: [LUG] kernels and modules (again)

On Friday 10 November 2006 13:34, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> OK...
> More research shoes, that the kernel has too match exactly, how
> exactly?

Exactly. You need the specific kernel the module was designed to work with -
not just similar, exactly the same.

> How can I find out what the module actually needs?

Ask the vendor.

> The kernel name matches, I.E. the output from uname -a, since when it
> didn't I was getting another error.

Is the module supposed to work with a distro kernel? For example, if the
module is written to work with a Fedora-modified 2.6.9 kernel, you need that
exact kernel - a vanilla 2.6.9 from kernel.org may be the same version, but
it's not the same kernel.

> I suppose it goes back to my, what exactly does that error mean?

You're trying to use the module with a kernel other than the one it was
written for.

What distribution is the module designed to work with? I'd be very surprised
if it wasn't available for download somewhere.

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson