Re: [LUG] Help please - UPnP

On Monday 06 November 2006 12:37, David Bell wrote:
> Having just been reading various horror stories about UPnP I decided to
> check my Speedtouch 546 firewallrouter, only to find that UPnP was selected
> <On> by default.  Alternative selections are <Secure> and <Off>.  I have
> selected <Off>.
>
> Not being either a games player or conference user, is <Off> the better
> selection out of the two offered, or will I find that the odd programme
> won't work?
>
> TIA
> --
> W. Devon
> -------------
> A GNU/Linux user

Things should just work fine. The only sorts of things which may be affected
are those which need specific ports open - so things like games or torrenting
for example. As far as they are concerned, specific ports can be configured
in most routers anyway - a much safer method than uPnP! I open the ports
needed for torrents for example if I am going to use those - then close them
again after I am finished.
Any program which needs specific ports opened will state that in the readme
and that will allow you to manually open them in your router.

Mark