Re: [LUG] MS-Novell

> How bad does it get?
>
> If true, considering how much of Linux Novell owns this could be really
> bad (and a contrast to the attitude of RH towards patents)

Novell doesn't own any of Linux, that's not really a concern.

The software patent issue is the most worrying thing..

on the one hand it proves the point about software patents being
purely used for litigation and the threat of litigation - I don't
believe I've ever seen a new product come about because of a software
patent or license, only existing products stave of litigation.

on the other hand Novell could now support MS and the usual suspects
in claiming that software patents are ever anything other than
detrimental, and try and muddy the waters regarding open source and
software patents.

cheers,

A.

--