Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux in schools

If it's a cross platform course then anyone who can use MS word should
have very little problem moving over to openoffice writer,  this goes
back to the point of saying teach someone word processing and not teach
word

The main difference between word and writer is no paperclip,  or
annoying features, that check your spelling. grammar as you go along (I
have helped its distracting for the kids, and they spend more time
asking why they have lines under text than actually typing),   anyway
half the time when grammar checking it would come up with fragment which
left me more confused as to the proper grammar anyway.  Even the
suggestions did not seem right,  it's all very well having grammar
checking but unless you understand why something is wrong you will keep
making the same mistake.

Open office may lack certain features of word,  but it's certain;y
easier to use as a result, most people don't need those super advanced
features anyway.   As someone pointed out before schools teach MS
office, industry in some areas use SAP. same would apply in science,
they are taught to use word to write science reports,  get to uni and
you HAVE to use latex as that is industry standard for that type of
work,   my cousin is even using Linux for his bio informatics work.

Paul