Re: [LUG] Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy + ATI Radeon X700

Hi,

I saw a few messages here about Kubuntu so I suppose I am not the only one who tried it.

I installed it on a laptop (ASUS a6) with ATI radeon mobility X700 and I had to:
 - install in text mode
 - after install, boot in safe mode (which is text only)
 - edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to add the following in the "device" section

There are more details about this issue here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire1694WLMi
 and there : https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-driver-ati/+bug/22985

The problem (and solution) were the same when I installed Debian Sarge on this same laptop.

Another issue surfaced during this installation. I downloaded the DVD iso and first burnt it on DVD at 16x.
The install would never complete, neither would the CD integrity check.
I burnt the iso again on a DVD-RW at 2x and everything went fine.

Maybe this will help someone else trying out Edgy.

Sam