Re: [LUG] browser usage - the truth is out?

James Fidell wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
>
>> Theres a survey on the Beeb about browser usage - Firefox is winning hands
>> down!
>>

> Not exactly a statistically valid form of data collection though, is it?
>
> James
Much as I enjoy seeing Microsoft get their backsides whipped I have to
agree with James.  All this poll says is:

Of the users of the Internet who *also* visit the BBC News website *and*
view the technology news *and* could be bothered to vote, 48% use Firefox.

Another way of looking at it is to ask who would be in the above
category?  Mostly (although not all by any means) UK users *and*
technically minded ones, as non-tech users are unlikely to be viewing
the tech news.  Also technically minded visitors are (IMHO) more likely
to use Firefox anyway being more aware of the advantages over IE.

So you have probably a UK user, techie and views the BBC Technical News
section and could be bothered to vote.  Not a massive pool to draw from
when you consider how many users there are on the internet who do *not*
fill the above criteria.

If the survey had included the number of votes that would have given a
better idea of the overall picture.

Kind regards,

Julian