Re: [LUG] OT: GNU GPL copyright

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 10/25/06, jody salt <jody_leigh_salt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Hopefully today I will release my Blog software under the GNU GPL license,
>> however I've got a question on how I should do my copyright. I've got a
>> business called JodSoft (sole trader) should I use my business name i.e:
>>  Copyright 2006 JodSoft
>
> Not sure this applies to a sole trader business, but under uk law a
> business is an entity that can own stuff. Therefor if you copyright it
> JodSoft and sell JodSoft the copyright goes with the business. If you
> do it in your name it stays with you. If you do it in both then if you
> sell the business you have two copyright holders, you and the new
> JodSoft owner.

As a sole trader there is no legal distinction between Jody and JodSoft.
   JodSoft is not a legal entity like a limited company, it is just a
trading name of Jody himself.  Because trading names are not registered,
it could get confusing if another JodSoft popped up;  it's better to use
your personal name in this case.

The right way to put it if you wanted to include both would be

// Copyright (c) 2006 Jody Salt T/A JodSoft

T/A = Trading As

(Hooray, something I do know about for a change ;-)

Cheers

Paul