Re: [LUG] OT: GNU GPL copyright

On 25/10/06, jody salt <jody_leigh_salt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully today I will release my Blog software under the GNU GPL license, however I've got a question on how I should do my copyright. I've got a business called JodSoft (sole trader) should I use my business name i.e:

Copyright 2006 JodSoft

or my real name:

Copyright 2006 Jody Salt

Does it make any difference legally?

This works in a similar manner to if you were e.g. writing for Red Hat, i.e. the company owns the copyrights and not the individual, if you put your company. This means that you personally forfeit any copyright ownership in the event of the company going bust or, worse, being purchased. I personally would put my own name until the company becomes a multi-person company e.g. a partnership or private limited company.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382