Re: [LUG] VOIP hardware

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 10/25/06, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop
>>

> Excellent!, loads to choose from, that wireless one looks useful.
>
> This has reassured me a lot!.

My voip kit is restricted to a "standard" phone plugged into a
Sipura SPA-2000 (which works well) and I've not tried anything
else.

However, in one of my lives I do a fair bit of work for a company
that provides VoIP services (currently working on a system to monitor
VoIP call quality, which can be a bit frustrating, to say the least).
Working with them I've gleaned that whilst there are a fair number of
VoIP phones about, the firmware on some of them isn't really as bug-free
or the UI as user-friendly as one might wish, so it's worth doing a bit
of research before buying.

(I've picked up a few SPA-[23]000 units, new, off eBay, for quite
reasonable prices, the intention being to use them around the house
with "fixed" phones.  Long-term I plan to put a wifi aerial on the roof
and have a wifi VoIP phone that I can carry around with me when I'm in
the mood for receiving calls.)

James