Re: [LUG] VOIP hardware

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 10:36, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> What should one look for in hardware these days then?. Is it better to
> get a standalone phone with ethernet connection and be OS independent
> or are the USB ones pretty good. Any recommendations for linux
> compatable usb handsets?

USB phones are just a microphone and a speaker moulded into a bit of plastic -
you may as well use a microphone and a pair of headphones or a headset.

> I asume if i get a linux compatable USB handset i can go on what ever
> network i want by installing approprate linux software? Where as what
> about standalone systems are these locked into a network etc?

Not normally. It's easy to avoid buying from the few companies who lock their
hardware.

> How do these things handle being on a NAT network behind a router?

Normally just fine. I've used VoIP from behind about three layers of NAT
before, without much trouble. Sometimes you may need to port forward, but
most of the time it'll just work.

Have a look at the range of hardware sipgate sell for an idea of what's
available (they don't lock their hardware, so you can use it with any
provider):

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop

I've currently got an F1000 phone which I can use anywhere where there's
wireless, which is really handy. I also have a few BT-101s which I've never
had any problems with.
You may find an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) suits you better, as they
allow you to use a regular phone for VoIP.

HTH,
David.

--
David Johnson