Re: [LUG] Skype, Gnome meeting etc...

On 25/10/06 10:03:07, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> > Simple steps
> >
> > Download asterisk, install
> > Download sip/iax client, install (windows is good for this)
> > (diax seems to work easily)
> >

> sip client I've gone with Ekiga
>
> > depending on downloaded client edit sip.conf or iax.conf so that
> client
> > works.
>
> Where would I find the sip.conf file? What would I edit in it?

in /etc/asterisk
(did you do 'make samples'? - I think that's the make command...)

[Ekiga]
type=friend
host=dynamic
username=<username>
secret=<passwd>
context=demo
disallow all
allow=ulaw

edit to taste.

> > You should now be able to dial asterisk and use the demo dialplan
>
> How can I dial before having registered a sip account?

because * acks like a proxy (for want of a better word)
* is a pbx, like in an office, you don't have to connect to BT to dial
the desk next to you.
If you register Ekiga to your asterisk and drop into the demo context
in * then you sould have all kinds of extensions you can ring.