Re: [LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

On Oct 21, 2006, Robin Cornelius was like:

> Hope i haven't missed the point but I rarely use debian kernels (mainly
> because i often need *very* new kernels, even GIT at times). I just grab
> a stock kernel from kernel.org unpack the archive then (this is the
> important bit)
>
> copy the /boot/config-2.6.8

<snip>

Yes I did all that, and make-kpkg does the make, etc, including the
mkintrd step. The point is that I ended up with an error message and a
kernel panic. I didn't want to make it too long a question so I just
focussed on the matter of patches. The documentation tends to say
'apply the patches' but doesn't explain what and how. One is expected
to know. It also says you don't have to use initrd but the installed
kernel does use initrd and that is the way I have always done it.  I
am now about to make a fresh start by installing testing from the net
install CD image.

Tony