Re: [LUG] Laptop for "Granny" (the great social experiment) Part 2

Robin Cornelius wrote:

>Tom Brough wrote:
>

>>Ok a quick update,
>>
>>The wifi card is working now (thanks to rt73 driver) and the wide screen
>>

>Yay, are you using the legacy ralink code or our code as we are now
>maintaining the GPL version at http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com and
>backports and patches are being applied daily.
>
>BTW was the driver supplied with the distro or did you download and
>install yourself?

Yes I got the code from serialmonkey.
No Ubuntu dosent support rt73 native ( but rt2400/2500 are there) so I
had to compile it, but its not a problem.
I could only find a tarballed CVS version for rt73 - is it still
experimental ?
Do you know how to switch off all the debug stuff as its filling up
/var/log/messages ?

The only problem I had was identifing that I needed rt73 in the first
place since I thought it was an internal PCI but turned out to be a usb
device, once I sussed out that it was usb the device id lead me straight
to rt73 (via google :-) )

However, apart from the intensive logging it hasnt let me down yet :-)
And will be useful if Mum goes wireless/broadband.

Tom.