[LUG] Laptop for "Granny" (the great social experiment) Part 2

Ok a quick update,

Ubuntu won.... and I must say after having some reservations about it
(being more used to Debian / Fedora) its growing on me.

Ubuntu is now installed. However I am having problems with timidity
which I am using to backend midi for rosegarden. Rosegarden is fine but
when timidity dosent initiate properly there is no sound feedback while
editing music scores.

The wifi card is working now (thanks to rt73 driver) and the wide screen
is lovely and crisp, which is ideal when you are 70++ years old with
failing vision. I havent had time to test the firewire and the built in
camera card reader. The only thing that I know that definately isnt
working is the internal soft modem (no suprises there).

I have asked one of the younger members of the DCGLUG community to
donate a gmail invite. I thought it would be a nice gesture.

I have given up on the modem, and since my mother has no broadband I
have decided to shell out for an external (hard) modem. In fact Im just
off to get it as the planned "training" sessions start tomorrow and
continue through the first part of the half term break.

So my questions are :-

1. Which ISP should I use for "pay as you go" dialup ? thinking UK2.NET
but other may have (better?) solutions
2. Should I sign her up for DCGLUG ? - bearing in mind that she will ask
questions about anything and everything (you have been warned). In
exchange she is a walking encyclopedia on organic gardening......... :-)
3. Useful (custom) links on the browser - thinking wikipedia - any others ?

Well thats all I can think of now .... Im off to have breakfast (yes I
was up 1/2 the night fighting timidity), and buy that modem.

Thanks

Tom.