Re: [LUG] Ethernet??

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> OK I will do that, except I am not sure how to check the syslog. I will
> print the output from the above commands both when I am running as
> normal and before I connect to the internet and then compare the
> outputs.
>
> As I have mentioned before, what puzzles me the most is that everything
> worked fine for three months from the day my broadband setup started.
> Then suddenly I had these problems.
>
> If there is some fundamental problem with the setup why didn't it fail
> from day one?
>
> Neil Winchurst

Hi Neil,

I've just re-read through some of the posts in this topic and something
caught my eye:

 > So why am I surprised? Well I have been using the internet for the
 > last
 > hour or so. My wife has a laptop in another room (I have a wireless
 > router in use) and she has no problem either. So how can I be using an
 > ethernet connection that is not connected?
 >
 > <<SNIP>>
 >
 > There is an icon on the panel to show the internet connection. If I
 > right click on that and choose Monitor Network (see above**) it tells
 > me that I am connected. Can you see why I need some expert advice?

What kind of connections does your router accept?  What method are you
using to connect the Mandriva machine to the router?

You have an icon on screen that tells you that you *are* connected, and
when you click on it, it reports everything as working nicely?  And yet
if you go to Mandriva Control Centre and use "Monitor Network" it
reports that you're not connected?

Maybe... just maybe... Mandriva Control Centre is not looking at the
correct connection?  Let's pretend for a moment that you are using a
wireless connection to surf ("wifi0" perhaps), but when you go to
Mandriva Control Centre's "Monitor Network" thingy it specifically looks
at your cabled Ethernet ("eth0" perhaps).  Since you're not using eth0
for your connection, it will show up as "disconnected".

Can you verify how you think you should be connected?  Is the Mandriva
machine supposed to be using wireless, USB, Ethernet, carrier-pigeon?
If you're using a cabled connection (USB/Ethernet), can you confirm that
physically unplugging the cable disconnects you?  Not being daft, but
start with the simple troubleshooting ideas, and then move up.

Grant.