Re: [LUG] Ethernet??

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:33:46 +0100
> Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Have you a 'small' adsl router? Sometimes the DHCP negotiations with these are
>> a bit slow so the monitor program checks before the dhcp 'handshake' is
>> complete and says oh no not connected, the dhcp handshake then connects and
>> off you go ....
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
> My router - D-Link DSL-G604T
>
> I am not quite sure what you mean by a 'small' router
>
> But what mainly puzzles me is that everything worked fine for the first
> three months....[snip]

I've hit problems with D-Link routers before where their DNS cache fills
up and they then go sulky and need a reboot.  The solution is to turn
off DNS relay on the router and either put a real DNS server (from your
ISP) in your /etc/resolv.conf, or (better) install bind and run a DNS
cache locally.

[On Debian, 'apt-get install bind9' and remove any 'nameserver' lines in
/etc/resolv.conf]

Not sure if this explains your Mandriva problems, though - never used it!

Cheers

Paul