Re: [LUG] Distros??

On Thursday 19 October 2006 10:23, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> There has been some discussion about which distro to recommend for
> people new to Linux. So far the main contender seems to be Ubuntu. So I
> have two questions.
>
> 1 Why not mention kubuntu as well, or are most people on the lug
> devotees of Gnome?

Personally I don't think Kubuntu is anywhere near as usable as Ubuntu - it's
not as integrated and the configuration tools don't even compare. I use
Kubuntu, but I wouldn't recommend it for a new user.

> 2 Does anyone know which is the most used distro among lug members? Or
> is that information not available?

Going by the number of people wearing Debian t-shirts at the last meet, I'd
say Debian :-)

Look in the members register - everyone can list their favourite distro in
their user information. I don't think that information is collected anywhere
though (and probably isn't terribly up-to-date, since I guess most people
don't update their member info regularly).

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson