Re: [LUG] Ethernet??

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:16:04 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> DNS forwarders are mostly just a bad idea. I know when they should be
> used, and have never needed to use one ;) Although I did once measure
> the performance benefits of them with scientific precision.
>
> I don't think the problem is that one.
>
> I've actually seen something similar to Neil's problem a couple of times
> before.
>
> One the DHCP was run before a PCMCIA wireless card was brought up.
> Although I'd hope modern distros would have this one sorted. This meant
> that the DHCP settings weren't acquired until a while after the Linux
> box finished booting.
>
> The other was due to driver compatibility issues between wireless cards
> on a network, where bugs meant one had to boot after the other.
>
> However I don't think the problem is likely as difficult as the wireless
> one. My guess is the DHCP settings aren't being picked up at the right
> time, or aren't being stored (not overriding /etc/resolv.conf) or similar.
>
> So Robin in on the right track, although I think the WinXP is a distraction.
>
> Boot the GNU/Linux box, when it isn't working get the network settings
> with "ifconfig" "netstat -nr" and "cat /etc/resolv.conf", and when it
> starts working get the same (and check the syslog to see if there are
> any DHCP messages, or other network related messages). I'm pretty sure
> the answer will be in that lot.
>
> More data - less speculation.

OK I will do that, except I am not sure how to check the syslog. I will
print the output from the above commands both when I am running as
normal and before I connect to the internet and then compare the
outputs.

As I have mentioned before, what puzzles me the most is that everything
worked fine for three months from the day my broadband setup started.
Then suddenly I had these problems.

If there is some fundamental problem with the setup why didn't it fail
from day one?

Neil Winchurst