Re: [LUG] Permanent Meting Places

Henry Bremridge wrote:
>> I think this might have been vaguely mentioned before but... could we
>> possibly sponsor a couple of village halls?
>>
>> What I'm thinking is maybe provide one or two (or maybe more) low spec
>> PCs (Pentium 3/Athlon etc) and a broadband connection.  If it was a
>> regular venue then using a low cost ISP for a simple 2 Meg connection
>> (say Tiscalli off the top of my head who is £12.99 a month) then the
>> regulars to the venue could chip in say a couple of quid a month towards
>> the connection and make it available to other people in the village
>> halls (say Scouts, Girl Guides etc).
>>
>> I would certainly be happy to chip in for something like this in either
>> Torquay or Exeter areas if we could get a regular venue for free say
>> once a week or once a fortnight.
>>

> Have approached a parish councillor in Broadhempston (half way between
> Totnes and Newton Abbot), who has advised that potentially it sounds
> interesting.
>
> Should I take it further?

Might be a good idea.  We could at least get costs of what it would cost
for a connection & equipment.  Maybe we could make it into a project for
the LUG, try and get a couple of permanent meeting areas around Devon &
Cornwall so we can all at least get to one.  The one between Newton
Abbot & Totnes sounds good as it isn't too far for visitors from Torbay
(or at least I'm assuming not).

If this went well too maybe we could approach a couple of local
businesses to sponsor the connection in return for a link to the
companies site or something on a web site?

I'm sure the startup costs wouldn't cost too much.  Most ISP's now give
free activation and sometimes even free hardware.  Other than that a
wireless router doesn't cost the earth (or alternatively a pair of Linux
boxes acting as firewall/proxy server etc).

I think I could get some PC's for the task.  At work we're looking to
get rid of a load of old PCs (some Pentium 3s, some Pentium 2s) and some
CRT monitors.  The company is having to pay for disposal.  I'd be happy
to save the company some money and get a few of the old machines.

Rob