Re: [LUG] Converts to Linux

Michael Mortimore wrote:
>  surely it makes no difference which you use except that su -c is
> longer than sudo and sudo -s is longer than su...

The end results are the same but :-

su -c requires the root password to execute a command

sudo can be setup to allow individual commands to be executed as root
but depending on the configuration the user needs to give there own
password or the root password. then the command can be used for a given
period of time without a password

sudo requires that /etc/sudoers is set with users who can sudo and if an
unauthorised user tries mail can be sent to someone

In fact if you deny the su command sudo looks like its a more secure
option as you can restrict which commands and what users can access sudo
where as su and su -c just need the root password and possibly if a user
attempted a dictionary attack with su there is not much stopping them
but sudo seems to have more protection.

I just use su -c out of habit that's my only reason and habits are
difficult to break!

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk