Re: [LUG] Converts to Linux

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:40:23 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30/09/06 12:23:38, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Thanks to you, Tony and the others who have replied. I am very
> > reassured. I have never used sudo myself since I, obviously, have
> > always known the root password.
>
> That just means you need to configure sudo properly.
>
> Once sudo is setup properly, there should be zero reasons to use 'su' -
> let alone login as root directly.
>
> sudo is FAR preferable to su because sudo only operates on that one
> command. It is quite likely that you will trash your entire system by
> 'forgetting' that you are still in an su shell. You can't do that with
> sudo.

Of course I never log in as root directly. When I need to be root I use
su for the one command and then immediately return to normal user
status.

Sometimes I need to enter the root password  for such things as
'configure your computer' or adjusting the clock. Once I quit the
command I am automatically back to normal user.

I must admit that, although I have used Linux for years, I had not heard
of sudo until about a month ago. I will look into it and follow advice
from you and others. Thanks.

Neil Winchurst