Re: [LUG] Converts to Linux

On 30/09/06 12:23:38, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Thanks to you, Tony and the others who have replied. I am very
reassured. I have never used sudo myself since I, obviously, have
always known the root password.

That just means you need to configure sudo properly.

Once sudo is setup properly, there should be zero reasons to use 'su' - let alone login as root directly.

sudo is FAR preferable to su because sudo only operates on that one command. It is quite likely that you will trash your entire system by 'forgetting' that you are still in an su shell. You can't do that with sudo.

--

Neil Williams