Re: [LUG] Black List

paul sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> LLoyds tsb's site works great with both mozilla and Linux,  perhaps this
> is something a magazine could look into,  it would be good publicityfor
> the banks that are Linux friendly,  perhaps an awards type thing,
> awarded annually,  so those not getting it this year, may start thinking
> about it for next year.   Not sure what the circulation numbers are, but
> this is the sort of thing that the linux mags could co-operate on in
> order to get the same results out to as many people as possible,
> regardless of choice of magazine.
>
> at the end of the day it would be done for end user benefits,
>
> I am sure that if users who are looking for a bank and want internet
> access, this could be a big deciding factor,
>
> Paul

This sounds like something that Computer Active should be covering.  I'm
sure I've seen a Computer Active special magazine which teaches the
basics of Linux, although I guess on the negative site users could argue
that if they have the feature in Windows then why switch?

With regards to sites that DON'T support Linux (or at least Firefox on
either IE or Linux) -

GlobalExpense.com (I use them for my expenses at work, I can only do my
expenses on either
my work laptop (XP) or my work PC (XP) as they don't support Firefox
despite my complaining).

Job Centre Plus - Okay they have some documents in PDF format (that were
made obsolete when they rolled out that poor excuse of a computer system
last year and caused claimants no end of problems - 12 weeks with no
benefits - thanks EDS / Job Centre Plus!) but the site doesn't work on
Firefox.

Giant.com - I used these guys for payroll when I was contracting.  They
tried to fob me off saying that although they didn't support Linux or
Firefox I could submit my claims by post (causing considerable delay).
My argument was I went to them because they had a web based portal - but
alas it seems that they employ ignorant web developers which are scared
of anything other than IE.

How I see it is that professional web developers *should* actively
support browsers other than IE, surely it can't be that hard can it?

Rob