Re: [LUG] Firefox is not free software, if called "Firefox"

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:13:37AM +0100, Ben Goodger wrote:

> Firefox was never free software, and frankly I don't give a stuff whether
> Mozilla force everyone to rename it. I get along just fine without the logo
> in Ubuntu, and I'm sure it'd be the same with the name. This will definitely
> bite Mozilla in the behind at some point down the line (maybe Epiphany might
> aquire these things called "features" that people keep talking about, and
> then we could all use that) but as far as I am concerned it is their
> problem, not mine.

RMS and I wrestled with the Mozilla Foundation on the issue of getting them
to build free software versions of Firefox.

I need to check back through my notes, but they did offer a nightly build that
came without logos or branding and was licensed under the MPL/GPL/LGPL.

If someone is willing to work on a way we could offer builds of Firefox stable
without any branding, and a focus on freedom, I'm sure we'd like to get things
running again.

matt

--
Matt Lee