Re: [LUG] Firefox is not free software, if called "Firefox"

On 21/09/06, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This may come as a surprise, but Debian is being FORCED to drop the name
"Firefox" because Mozilla insist that Debian is not allowed to modify
the source and still use the Firefox name or logos. The effect of
Mozilla aggressively pursuing the trademark is that FireFox becomes
non-free under the Debian Free Software Guidelines - if it is called
FireFox.

Mozilla are using the trademark as if it was a patent!

The logos are already non-free (you are not allowed to modify them) but
have so far been excluded from Debian. Now, Mozilla are insisting that
if the logos are not used, neither can the name "FireFox".

The version in experimental is already called "Bon Echo".

Mozilla have made a complete U-turn and are using the trademark to
prevent modification of the source - completely against the DFSG. Just
goes to show what happens when the GPL is not used.

Firefox was never free software, and frankly I don't give a stuff whether Mozilla force everyone to rename it. I get along just fine without the logo in Ubuntu, and I'm sure it'd be the same with the name. This will definitely bite Mozilla in the behind at some point down the line (maybe Epiphany might aquire these things called "features" that people keep talking about, and then we could all use that) but as far as I am concerned it is their problem, not mine.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382