Re: [LUG] Router problem - maybe?

On 9/5/06, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (If you're not sure, copy the contents of /etc/network/interfaces in a
> > reply.)
> >
> I don't have this file on the computer.

According to somting i have just read in french (my french is however
poor), the stuff you want is under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

and might be called ifcfg-eth0 ?

> But, in that case, why did it all work OK for three months?

Stuff happens, especialy if there is a config error, sometimes you
wing it and it is ok then it bites you in the ass eventually.

> > Also, check /etc/resolv.conf which may have been overwritten. This would
> > make it hard to locate local devices and could disable DNS resolution if
> > the local nameserver cannot be found.
> >
> I don't have this file.

Thats pretty unusual. With out a /etc/resolv.conf you can't resolve
any names. A quick google does not suggest this has been moved.

This is being lost.

> Meanwhile....my wife has her laptop downstairs and uses a wireless
> connection to the router. This is still working fine, with no need to
> reboot the router. Is that significant?

Well if a 2nd computer + router is perfectly ok it suggests its not the router.

1. Try rebooting the router so you get a conenction again, then look
for the /etc/resolv.conf file.

2. When you have no connection try typing dhclient or dhcpcd or pump
(one of those will work) and see if that gets you a new dns lease and
that should also update your /etc/resolv.conf etc.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk