Re: [LUG] advice on website

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 11:24:03AM +0000, paul sutton wrote:
>
> Hey Paul,
>
>> I  have been working on my website over the holday weekend here in
>> canada,  I can at least update teh site at the moment.    anyway Under
>> the heading bar at the side I have put a few site link banners,  I was
>> just wondering if this was
>>
>> a) a good idea - it seems like it even.
>> b) should this be limited to the home page or be available on every page
>> of the site,  (not much extra work just copy / paste the code to each
>> page),
>
> Does your server support PHP or SSI? Use include files for your common
> elements, such as the menu.
>
> Also, put the menu after the content and do it all without CSS first,
> using
> correct, semantically correct markup - ie. make the content mean
> something.
>
> First thing, I come to the site and it says 'About Me' but I have no idea
> who you are (well, I do, but I might not)
>
> How about this?
>
> <h1>Paul Sutton's homepage</h1>
>
> <h2>About Me</h2>

> ----
>
> Use <p></p> around paragraphs of text - you should find yourself not
> needing
> to do many <br /> tags.
>
> Go for an XHTML Strict DTD - you'll find it makes you write better code.
>
> Knock up some pages without CSS at all, with the navigation as a list
> below
> the content, and I will help you write a stylesheet that looks great.
>
>> any ideas.  I have also put some photos taken in canada, so people can
>> see what it's like here.
>
> Hope Canada is fun.

PHP includes would be a great idea here... also I would ensure that your
code does indeed pass w3c validation.. currently it doesn't...

Perhaps talking to your server admin with regard to the php option might
be an idea, i'm sure that they're going to be helpful and friendly if
approached in the right way.