Re: [LUG] 'Hello all' from a new member

Mark wrote:

> Note that the virtual machine method does need a fair amount of ram to get
> anything like a realistic useability. On my laptop, which runs Kubuntu 6.06
> with 768mb ram, I can happily run Xubuntu in a VM with 256mb ram allocated to
> the VM - but more hefty distros and indeed XP - would benefit from being
> allocated more if possible.

I have qemu running winxp very well, host system has 1 GB of ram and is
an AMD64 3400+. Windows is very usable for tests and running those odd
apps. It boot very quickly with emulated hardware and is so much better
than dual booting as I have set up qemu to boot when you log in from kdm
as user windows so then you can ctl+alt+fX flick between linux desktop
and windows.

If you need windows for hardware tests then VM's such as qemu are not
that great, some support for serial, parallel and USB but that is about
it and this can be slow.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk