[LUG] Slideshow pictures and movies?

Hello again.
I'm trying to make a slideshow which is literally just pictures and
movies. I don't need text or anything, and I've got about 300 pictures
and 10 movies so M$ Powerpoint / OpenOffice presenter style programs are
out of the question unless there is an "import 300 pictures and make
each full screen on it's own slide" option.

I would just use any number of the picture slideshow programs available-
  I've got imagemagick's display program and gwenview, which would both
do the pictures fine. The problem is that the movies are mixed in with
the pictures, and need to appear at the right time- so I can't just play
all the pictures and then the movies or anything.

It seems a bit strange that mplayer can't display pictures- or can it?

Also, how do I make mplayer open the movie, but freeze on the first
frame and not play it until I say so? And ask me before it moves onto
the next one? And not exit when it's done them all?

Thanks
Simon